Thursday, April 15, 2010

How My Kitchen Chairs Got a Makeover

Hello everyone! Another bright and sunny (not too cold) day here at Ekati. In this post I will show you how I (FINALLY) finished revamping the chairs in my kitchen. As some of you may remember I embarked on a quest to breathe new life into my drab kitchen chairs some time ago. Well, here are the results! I am really happy with the cushion covers. I ripped open the old covers, took out the stuffing and used it again in the new ones. I drafted the pattern for the new covers myself to be sure that it would fit the chairs properly. They are an awkward shape (not really square) and the old cushions flopped off the sides which looked really sloppy. I sewed box corners into them to help them keep a nice shape, although I am sure they will be getting squished down soon enough. The ties were THE WORST part of all as the fabric is a really stiff cotton canvas and was very difficult to turn inside out when sewn into a tiny tube. In the end the hardwork paid off. What do you think of the cushions? Also, should I tuft the new ones the way the old ones were done? I appreciate your input!

Painted chair with BLAH cushion cover.

Sewing ties for covers. These were so hard to turn inside out!

Close up of Box Corner.

Side View.

How do you think they turned out?

2 comments:

Pris said...

Much nicer! These are lovely! I really loved he colour you picked, green always looks great in the dining room I think! Also, it is 18 degrees above today... woohoo!

Unknown said...

That is sooo not fair! It is warmer here today, but not 18.