Monday, August 24, 2009

Old Capri Pants = Funny Clutch

I apologize in advance as this is not so much a tutorial as simply a collection of photos which have to do with a clutch project that I made this morning. My mother gave these pants to me the last time I was at her house (along with many other old but still wearable garments-soon to be made into projects!) and I knew I had to make something from them. A ruffly purse I saw in a magazine was the inspiration for this clutch.

One pair of crazy capris....

Draw a pattern on paper and cut it out... (it looks wobbly but I swear it is symmetrical)

Sew two sides together and draw on rough shape of ruffle with sharpie/fabric pen.....

Cut 1 1/2 inch wide strips and serge them together to make one long piece. They will be folded in half and sewn on in an oval fashion until the side is completely covered.

Sewing it on - I "gather" as I go, folding the fabric into a pleat/ruffle shape as I stitch.
Now this is the part where we lose a lot of photos.... I cut out lining fabric in the same shape and attached a zipper. First you sew the zipper to the outside fabric, then you sandwich the zipper between the lining and the outside fabric and sew again. The sides are sewn up (lining to lining and outer to outer). Then it is flipped inside out (since the bottom of the lining has not been sewn) and you serge/finish the inside seam. I am sorry but I got so involved in sewing that I missed taking pictures of that entire part......


The finished bag, and a shot of the inside of the bag. The lining looks lik it is puckering out in the corner as I didn't finish tucking it before I took that picture. It looks really nice now that I tucked it in!

4 comments:

The Sewing Dork said...

That is SO COOL. I am going to attempt one this week. Very original by the way!

Pris said...

Yeah... very neat. Are those mom's striped pants? She has lots of those same style... haha... looks good as a purse.

Unknown said...

Yeha they were mum's pants before. Thanks! It was pretty fun to make too.

1 cake a week 52 cakes a year! said...

So beautiful! Do you sell them?